Friday, November 19, 2010

Techie Tips.

DISCLAMER

Techie Tips is not intended to be instruction. I do provide step by step processes of some of the things that I do when maintaining bicycles. These processes require specialized tools and knowledge. The goal here is to highlight the importance of proper bicycle maintenance, and to keep you rolling safely and efficiently.

As we roll into the rainy season I wanted to clean and inspect my trusty steed. For the most part things were looking pretty good until I got to the bottom bracket and crank set, I was apparently growing a small garden along the lower part of the down tube and bottom bracket shell.

This illustrates the importance of cleaning and inspecting your bicycle from time to time. Much of the stuff stuck to my frame and bottom bracket was smaller grains of sand and road grime. If not attended to this particulate will end up making it through the seals and into the grease and bearings, and eventually cause accelerated wear on the bottom bracket.

I decided to overhaul the entire crank system and extend the fender to further reduce the amount of sand and grime that gets thrown up into my frame

I started this job the way I start all overhaul type jobs, I start by removing the parts. I start with the pedals, then pull the cranks, then I remove the bottom bracket. For the bottom bracket I simply wipe it off with a dry shop towel, you don’t want to use degreaser on sealed bearings. I then bring the crank arms to the parts washer (my kitchen sink) and cleaned them thoroughly using a biodegradable degreaser. I also removed the chainring, as I find it is easier to clean chainrings when they are removed from the cranks, and it gives you the opportunity to check the chainring bolts. Finally I clean the threads on the pedals.

Now with all of the parts thoroughly cleaned it is time to clean the frameand the threads inside of the bottom bracket shell, you don’t want to put freshly cleaned parts back on a dirty frame. As we roll into this wet season I like to use extra grease to inhibit water from getting into the parts and frame.

Finally it is time to extend the fender. Fenders are an integral part of your cycling attire. Not only to they keep you from developing a skunk stripe up your back, they also keep your bicycle clean. A good set of fenders will reduce the amount of grime thrown at your derailleurs, brakes, bottom bracket, and lower head set cup. My fenders were not doing such a good job, so I removed the old mud flap and the rivets holding it in place. Then I cut up an old tire and made a longer mudflap, punched a couple of holes in it and bolted it to the existing rivet holes. With every thing fresh and clean we are ready to roll through another wet Pacific North West season.

No comments:

Post a Comment